Skip to main content

"Peaceful" Saturday Brunch



          After about four months of making plans and checking schedules, I was finally able to meet up with one of my girlfriends for brunch.  Why does it take so long to see a friend who lives in the same city?  Are we so busy that we can't find 2 hours in four months to get together?! Today, I didn't wait for the stars to align, I just made it happen :)
          Ethan, my 5 year old son, is with his dad for the weekend but I can't sleep in because I wake up at 6am everyday. Every. Day.  Since I'm a great friend (I pride myself on this), I wait an hour before I pick up my phone to text my girlfriend, "Let's get breakfast!" *presses send and waits for response... 2 minutes pass... still waiting* Ok, I know it's early so I get up and start doing laundry.  Why not get my list of a thousand things to do around the house started? Two hours later, but somehow only one load of laundry done (I really need to remove my iPad from my bed), she texts me back *heavens sing* It's a date! ANd, not to mention, we agreed on a restaurant on the first try.  Maybe the stars did align.
          I needed this brunch with Apryl today. Have you ever gotten something and then couldn't figure out how you lived without it before?  That's what this brunch was for me.  Apryl and I talked for over an hour straight.  I'm sure I talked with food in my mouth and I'm positive she made me laugh so hard that a tiny piece of cheese from my grits flew from my mouth to her napkin 😳 Trying to catch up on four months requires nonstop talking and laughing.  I'm not quite sure how we talked about politics, work, quality of life, travel, sexuality, and the kitchen sink; but, we did it.  So yes, I needed this brunch... Let me get back to that.
          Recently, I was unhappy.  Not just for a moment, but daily.  Not unhappy and depressed.  Just lost my happy somehow.  I would find it throughout the day, but I couldn't quite hold on to it.  It got me thinking... "What makes me happy? What truly makes me happy? Is it my son or my family? My career? My spirituality? A good meal? Finding the perfect bra?"  Difficult question right? So I thought further... "If one of these things were taken away, would I still be happy? Am I happy within? Making myself happy and not needing anything external's help.  Is it even possible to always be happy or is happiness fleeting?"  I brought these thoughts to Apryl and asked for her opinion.
          Instead of quoting her, I'll paraphrase.  Happiness and sadness are emotions. Plain and simple.  We can experience both in a day, or even an hour. Trying to be happy 24/7 may become exhausting, could even be impossible.  Why not try finding peace? *heavens sing again* I felt the light turn on, felt the epiphany, felt my heart pump faster... Exactly.  "Yes Apryl. Yes."  
          I didn't lose my happy, but I did lose my peace.  I didn't have peace about some decisions I was making and it was causing my unhappiness.  Now, I've had peace before (feels wonderful by the way) and I feel myself getting back to it.  But I know it's a journey.  I feel it's close.  I decided to start this blog this morning before I went to breakfast and now I know it will become a part of that journey.  So please, join me on this journey as I find and hold on to my peace... and you yours.


          

Comments

  1. Awesome sis! Felt like I was reading a good book. Can't wait for the official book to drop!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan to be done by my birthday *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. Cheers to holding peace no matter what emotions may come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this blog! I've been struggling with maintaining my happy 24/7 but maybe the answer isn't about being happy 24/7 and more about finding peace!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you reading. We all deserve peace :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xoxo! Great read! Love you Tash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent read. Peace is the answer to inner turmoil. I enjoyed your narritive alot. I wish you continued peace and blessings. And congratulations on this blog and your inevitable success as an author. Love you boo. Always and forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! xoxo My goal is to post every Monday during the summer

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood: Faith v Failure

When confronted with obstacles, some will tell you to be optimistic and to find the silver lining, or to look at the glass as half full. Some may say this is only a season, and to praise God during the difficult time. But what if there is no foreseeable end? Instead, the season is lifelong. I have been in a constant battle with my faith since Ethan was one year old. It is something I have prayed about relentlessly. Some days I do feel God's favor and I know that I am blessed. I feel His love and strength inside of me, and, by His grace, I'm able to push through another day. However, with every blessing comes another hurdle. Some of our hurdles haven't felt like hurdles at all- more like roadblocks and dead ends. There is nothing like feeling helpless and having no control of your child's health or well-being. I know this feeling as failure. I fight every day to conquer it and replace that feeling with faith. Let me start from the beginning of my motherhood journey.

Single With No Daddy Issues

I have been asked "How are you single?" on every first date I've been on since I've been divorced. My answer differs depending on how the date is going, but in my head it's always the same... I blame my dad. The summer before 8th grade, as I was packing to go to Ghana, I remember my dad sitting me down and saying, "I never want you to be impressed by a man taking you somewhere.  You have been to Jamaica, Canada, too many states to count, and now you're going to Africa, England, and France for a month. You will travel the world with me, your family, and eventually on your own.  You will be rich with culture. Don't let these niggas come around trying to 'show you somethin.' You will see the world and impress your damn self." These dating jewels were passed down sporadically and came a little more often as I got older. Another was, "Marry for money. Love will hurt." That one was probably given after a date/relationship gone wro

It's Not Selfish, It's Self Love

It took me 33 years to realize that it is ok to be selfish. And now, I refuse to live my life any other way. I will selfishly enjoy every day I'm blessed with. I can't remember my first time being selfish, but I'm sure it came with a scolding or butt whooping. During childhood, we're taught that being selfish is bad. Share your candy, don't be stingy with your toys, let the other child use the swing first, etc.  Yes, these lessons are important, but so is the lesson of putting yourself first. I am aware that saying "I put myself first" sounds very selfish. However, in no way does putting yourself first infringe upon your ability to be caring, nice, giving, or the many other characteristics we consider "good." Coincidentally, by putting myself first, I am better able to be all these things to others. Being selfish has allowed me to become my best self. How can I take care of my son or be a good friend to someone when I am not taking